Friday, April 1, 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up: The One with the Symphony

It was a busier week than normal but a good one.  We accomplished everything that I had planned and had time for a field trip.

For me, the best part of the week was the fact that basketball and cheer are officially over!  We had our banquet over the weekend.  I am happy to have freed up 6+ hours of our week.

Here Mack and I are with her cheer trophy.  I have pictures of her getting her basketball medal as well. But they're on my camera and I haven't downloaded anything yet. LOL  My friend took these for me while I handled my "coaching duties."


History is getting a bit intense.  We have started World War 2.  Such an ugly period for mankind.   The internet links in The World Wars have been really informative for this time period.   And Mackenzie was shocked to learn that our beloved country had even more skeletons in the closet when we talked about the treatment of the Japanese-Americans.  

We finished Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry  and  the whole book was very moving, the ending in particular.  Mackenzie still can't wrap her mind around the idea of treating people badly based on appearance.  

Our new read aloud is The Winged Watchman.  This book take place in Nazi-occupied Holland during WW2.  At first, I wasn't sure how this was going to go.  The first chapter had a lot of descriptions about windmills and the like. Snooze.  But here we are on chapter 6 and I don't know what I was worried about.  It is good. Very good.   Mackenzie was begging me to read more.  

We are sooo close to being done with MUS Delta, First Language Lessons, and Writing With Ease that I'm a little giddy.   The end is in sight!  And now that I think about it, handwriting is about done too.  

Science might never be finished.  Not our fault.  That honor lies with Mother Nature.  We're finished with the bird sections in Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day and our ready to move onto insects.   Unfortunately, the weather has been so terrible that we can't find any insects to study.  Sigh...

In other news, Mackenzie had a field trip to the symphony.  I didn't go.  It was my toddlers day at baby gym and I didn't want her to miss it.  It's the one hour a week that is for her.  She gets to be with kids her own age and do things that are fun for her.  So I sent Mackenzie off with some friends.  They sent her back with pictures.  They even got to take one with the conductor.

Everyone said the show was fabulous!  It was a performance for kids so there was a lot of music that they knew and they did a lot of silly things.


Love the conductors Indiana Jones hat during the Indian Jones theme song.

Hello Mr. Conductor!

And that was our week.  Be sure to pop over to Weird, Unsocialized Homeschooler to see what other families have been up too.

1 comment:

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

Aw, too bad you had to miss the symphony :(. And I LOVE Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry. I'll have to look into your new book. I've read a lot of Holocaust books, but not heard of this one before.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...