Friday, April 23, 2010

Weekly Wrap-Up

Happy Friday cyber-friends!! It's time for the Weekly Wrap-Up hosted by Kris over at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers. I'm always excited when I actually get to the Wrap-Up on Friday.

We had a good week! In our most exciting news, we finished up with First Language Lessons . Woot!! It's great to see the year winding down. Math-U-See and Writing With Ease will soon follow. Yay!!!

Here are our highlights...

Math


This week she was working on multiple digit additon with regrouping. She did great with double digit last week but this week she's having trouble. Being a first-born perfectionist, this distresses her greatly. Her real problem is messy writing causing her to make silly mistakes. One day she'll write neatly like I ask and suddenly her math will improve again. LOL


Language Arts



Our last week of FLL consisted of reviewing diagraming and a small unit on letter writing. In WWE, we did poem narrations.


Social Studies


We finished reading The Lewis and Clark Expedition. An excellent book about an exciting time in our nation's history. We were going to Netflix a short National Geographic movie about it but they no longer have it. There's a longer one on Netflix streaming that we might try instead. She might sit through it if it's exciting enough.

We also finished Justin Morgan Had a Horse. It was really good. As Marguirete Henry's books always are.


Mackenzie is reading Sarah Whitcher's Story as her read aloud. All we can say is wow! A great story about keeping the faith.


Science


I'd like to tell you I remember what we've been doing but I can't. LOL Wait I remember. Military aircraft in the beginning of the week. We're a military family so that's not exactly new and exciting for us.


She did an experiment on circuits. Series and parallel, to be exact.



Here is Mackenzie with her series circuit. Not very bright. And if one bulb goes out, they all do in a series circuit. You remember those kind of Christmas lights don't you?







Here she is with the parallel circuit. Now I know it doesn't look very "parallel." That's because we wired it wrong 100 times and by the time we got it right everything was a tangled mess. But it worked! Finally!!! You'd think that after watching Justin, from Sonlight, do it we'd have got right away. LOL





And look it still worked, even with one light bulb removed.


In other science, we planted a little garden. We were going to just grow a few tomato plants in our topsey turvy hangers, like last year. But daddy is home now and he always has grander plans.

It wasn't easy for him.


He had to battle a large amount of some vine like plant with a lot of roots. (You can get an idea if you glance behind Wee Babe's head.) Did I mention lots of roots, big ones? Who'd have guessed? (And can you believe that I didn't take a before shot?)


In the end, he solved that dilemma like this...


Yep, that's a chainsaw. LOL


Mackenzie helped with the planting. In this photo, she's planting something in a pot but she did help with all the planting. I just didn't get pictures.





Our little garden. Hopefully my black thumb won't kill it. Or Kayleigh's trampling feet.

9 comments:

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

That circuit stuff looks fun! :)

The Fischer Family said...

What a great week! The circuit activity looks really great. And I'm jealous of the garden...our backyard is going to take a lot of work before we'll be able to get one of those! I hope it is abundant for you! Have a blessed weekend!

Barb said...

I'm loving the garden! It will be amazing to watch it grow.

What a great week you had.

Samantha said...

I had to chuckle about the "messy writing" contributing to math mistakes comment that you made on your post. My 5th grade son does that exact thing and overcoming that is one of my big math goals for him for next year.

The photo of your husband with the chainsaw cracked me up!

Samantha

Loving Our Homeschool said...

I'm trying to breath deeply and not be jealous that you finished FLL. I don't think we'll finish Level 3 this school year b/c of the book writing unit we're doing. The check-list person in me is not happy about that, but the new, improved, "this is why we HS" person in me is okay with that. LOL

Tammy said...

The garden looks fantastic! I can't wait to see it grow.

Anonymous said...

Great garden. I'm looking forward to the last freeze when we can finally start our veggie garden.

Cheryl Pitt said...

I love the rainbow activity, I should do that with Bram!

Luke Holzmann said...

Chainsaws? Sounds like a good week [smile].

~Luke

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...